Detailed breakdown of membership benefits
Below is a detailed list of the key benefits members receive based on each membership type.
For a summary of each membership type and also investment options, please see the images below (click on them to enlarge).
Benefits with In the Loop Membership
- Regular Electronic Newsletter – we keep you up to date with the latest happenings in the industry, as well as changes to NZ laws relevant to you. We also work with many other organisations to promote the benefits of exercise to the public, and keep you up to date on these opportunities.
- Written updates on key information – regular written updates on key issues for our industry. For those with Benefits and Service membership, this also includes access to our resources (listed below).
- Members’ discount at our events – we run the FitEx Confernce (NZ’s largest event of its type, with over 800 attendees, and 100 sessions!) as well as an annual roadshow in June that visits 8 cities with industry updates and education. Both are designed to support your business, as well as those that work within it.
- Lobbying on your behalf to Government – we engage with multiple Government agencies and regulatory bodies (ACC, IRD, SportNZ, Ministry of Health, WorkSafe, Commerce Commission to name a few) as well as tracking law changes that may affect our industry. We ensure your needs are kept front and centre of all of them, and where needed ‘fight’ on behalf of the industry.
Benefits with Service and Support membership
Service and Support offers all the benefits of In the Loop, plus:
- One on one support on any business issue – ExerciseNZ operates an 0800 for its members any business or industry issue. Have a question? – call us!
(Could be anything from an employment question, to industry practices, to knowing who to contact to get some new lockers). We are here to help.
- Access to our substantial industry resources:
- Health & Safety Guide: A comprehensive 60 page guide on all the important considerations for health & safety when operating an exercise business in New Zealand. Includes sample forms, check lists and guides. Step by step instructions on what you need to do, and how to involve staff and others.
- Employment Guide: A full (28 page) guide on all employment related matters for our industry – includes everything from understand contractor/employee distinction, as well as displinary process, types of employment, trial periods etc. Includes simple flow charts for key issues.
- Unsupervised exercise facilities guide: A key summary of all the considerations when considering operating a facility with some/all time unsupervised (including, but not limited to 24/7 type operations). Everything from member induction, health & safety considerations and facility design is included in this 24 page guide.
- Membership agreements: A full guide to ensuring your membership agreements comply with the latest consumer law in New Zealand. Includes a sample agreement template that can be modified, as well as sample classes for transferring/freezing as well as other common scenarios. Full 32 pages, plus a five page sample templates add-on.
- Common industry issues resources: In this 44 page guide we cover 14 key topics that are common issues in our industry. Includes: Childcare regulations, music licensing, using the disputes tribunal, how to correctly calculate retention, contractor/employment – IRD’s perspective, intellectual property and trademarks, rules for broadcasting on radio-frequencies (affects use of wireless microphones), corporate wellness programs (info for you to use).
- Subscription to Australasian Leisure Management (ALM) magazine. More info @ www.ausleisure.com.au
Benefits added with Gold membership
Gold membership offers all the benefits of Service and Support, plus:
- E-membership to IHRSA ($300 value): A special Federation membership to the International Health Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA). IHRSA is the largest fitness/exercise organisation in the world, with over 9,000 members worldwide. Key benefits include access to IHRSA publications electronically, including CBI magazine (the most read industry specific magazine in the world) as well as be able to attend IHRSA events worldwide at member rates.
- Membership to Australian Fitness Network ($250 value): This offers access to a full range of publications that focus on exercise and business content for our industry, as well as access to the Filex Convention and Expo @ members rates. More info @ www.fitnessnetwork.com.au
- Safety Monitor Health & Safety Management Software ($600 value): The complete software package to manage an exercise facility’s health & safety. Everything from an incident log, to a full hazard review record, as well as staff training verification. Simplifies the process of managing your health & safety, and works in with our Health & Safety guide. More info @ www.safetymonitor.nz
- Personal Training and Group Exercise contracts: Sample contracts for both PTs as well as group exercise instructor on a contract basis. Specifically designed for our industry, and structured to ensure they are contracts and not employment agreements.
Benefits added with The Works membership
The Works offer all the benefits of Gold membership, plus:
- Endorsement though SMEAEP ($600+ value): SMEAEP is an endorsement system that allows facilities and exercise professionals to offer exercise products that are tax deductible to employers (for their employees) as well as not being subject to Fringe Benefit Tax (FBT). The endorsement process can cost up to $600, but is included for The Works members. More info @ www.smeaep.co.nz
- Unlimited job ads on www.fitnz.co.nz ($99/ job ad): List jobs (as many as you want) at New Zealand’s largest dedicated job site for the exercise industry. More info @ www.fitnz.co.nz
- Copies of our retention research reports (historical and new): Access to our comprehensive research reports (around 100,000 individuals data is analysis each time) from both 2006 and 2014. Each report identifies trends, baseline data as well as factors that effect retention in NZ based on hard data.
- Copies of our Customer Research undertaken in 2018.
Other information on what we do
For a summary of how membership works, and an overview of how we operate, as well as info on joining, please visit our joining page.